High Performance Teamwork
The following list is of a few points we've learned about teams that achieve great things.
High performing teams;
- Have great leaders
- Share a (worthwhile) vision with agreed values and behaviours
- Have well defined and understood team and individual responsibilities
- Show mutual trust and respect for each others abilities and differences
- Ensure regular, timely, open, honest, communication of how they're doing
- Recognise and celebrate all progress, have no fear of failure and learn from mistakes
Patrick Lencioni has a great book about teamwork called 'The 5 Dysfunctions of a Team'. In it he describes what he has learned are the 5 key elements that are essential for high performance teamwork.
In order of importance they are;Absolute TRUST between team members.A willingness to allow constructive CONFLICT during team meetings.The COMMITMENT of all team members to the agreed team goals.Everyone in the team accepting ACCOUNTABILITY for the delivery of their commitments.A clear focus on RESULTS.This is not easy to achieve or maintain - but there's no doubt it works.